Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Budapest, Hungary



















Budapest was by far both mine and Hannah's favorite city that we visited while I was over in Europe. We took the overnight train (same as we did for Paris) from Munich, and arrived to our sweet little weekend apartment right in the middle of the city. We decided to be full on tourists, with the guided bus/boat/walking tours, but it was definitely worth it. Hungary as a whole has such an interesting, rich history. Budapest is small but had a lot to see. We saw some breathtaking architecture, and even went to a museum housed in an old communist building where they used to torture political prisoners (eek!). Our favorite part, though, was getting to use their currency. Their economy is incredibly low right now, and even though they are part of the EU, they haven't converted over to the Euro yet. Basically, 1 Euro= 280 forints. So we would be buying lunch that cost 2500 forints, handing over "1000" bills. It was sort of what I would imagine using lira would have been like....That said, everything was VERY inexpensive. One night we went to the local grocery store to get some things for dinner, bought champagne, bread, butter, cream, cheese, and soda, and the total was right around 5 Euro!!

Besides the beautiful historic sites, we stumbled upon a Hungarian artisan's market on the Sunday that we left. There were so many amazing local clothing, jewelry, and even shoe designers. I bought some fun gifts for my family, and jotted down lots of notes about designers that I liked. However, such amazingness deserves a post all on its own :)


Now it is time for me to get back to work. My schedule this semester (my LAST semester of school, ever!) is pretty full, but I have some outfit posts already on my camera to share with you all soon!

No comments: