Friday, October 31, 2008

To Fur or Not to Fur?

So lately I've been having this awful moral dilemma. Everywhere I go, class, on the street, online, I am surrounded by beautiful fur coats and vests. mink and rabbit, gorgeous and soft. Up until now, I would have never even thought of buying something that is real fur, because I am an animal lover to the core. However, when learning about how furs and leathers are made, I started to think a bit differently. I mean, I'm not a vegetarian, I wear leather shoes and purses. I don't know. But then again, I could cry every time I see or hear about someone with a chinchilla fur coat, especially when I think back to my lovely chinchilla babies just a few years ago. And I started to rationalize the fact that the only way I could ever buy fur is if it is vintage, because it was made so long ago. I have old hats that I have taken apart that are fur to make headbands, and I am Ok with that. I don't know. And I'm perfectly fine with wearing faux fur coats and such, I'm just trying to figure out where I stand on this... Thoughts, opinions????! I need help...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel exactly the same as you! i wouldnt want to support any modern fur trade.
x

Nashville Dolls said...

I had been struggling with these same thoughts for many years. I got the most beautiful vintage fur coat as a present a couple of years ago, but I was too embarrased to wear it. I have morally rationalized wearing fur this season for the fact that it is vintage and I'm not directly supporting any fur companies, but I do get these spouts of guilt. You'll have to make the choice that is best for on own your own. You're the only one who knows what you're most comfortable with.

Anonymous said...

Dont do it!